THE TEAR SHEET
NOT JUST ANOTHER PRETTY LACE
Unusual eco-friendly papers that are as inspiring as they are multi-dimensional
While I’ve talked about various artists and designers on The Tear Sheet, sometimes a material can spur the creative juices. Kate’s Paperie has recently begun carrying a unique line of artisanal papers called the Masa Collection that has been all sorts of inspiring. Handmade in the Philippines by Japanese papermakers, they come in a dizzying array of lacy textures that are so unique, each sheet is almost like artwork in and of themselves.
From large open weaves to sheer sheets with slubby streaks or lattices, they have a really organic look and feel, which is fitting since they’re exactly that, organic. Each sheet is made from a combo platter of raw materials that include mulberry, pineapple and banana fibers, but even better is the fact that much of the material is culled from agricultural waste, so they’re eco-friendly and sustainable too.
Of course, at the end of the day you aren’t going to want something just because it’s good for the planet, but because you can put it to good (and pretty) use. And so far, the applications seem to be as varied as the papers themselves. Some people have bought these papers to use as table runners for party settings, but I can totally see these being made into unique window shades or even textured shoji screens and room dividers.
A quick and immediate use for them would be gift wrapping. Since some of these sheets are stiffer due to the large weaves, they’d make great layering pieces on top of other, complementary papers. Here I applied them to a favorite gift item, a bottle of wine.
There’s no sense in disguising a bottle of wine, because people already know what they’re getting just by the shape of the vessel, so I like to keep it obvious but nicely decorated. A solid sheet wrapped around the body of the bottle hides the label and provides a clean background for your overlaying lace sheet. Just a little bit of texture can go a long way, so a strip of one of the bigger lace weaves provides a nice surface treatment to the clean lines of the bottle. Top it off with a bright bow, insert in a matching wine bag and you’re good to go!
If you have any questions, comments or other feedback about The Tear Sheet, be sure to let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
George G., Creative Director At Large, is a New York-based art director whose work spans everything from store display to interactive media. Also an accomplished artist, his illustrations have been published and exhibited in various galleries in New York. Being a self-professed design junkie, he is constantly on the lookout for what’s new and fresh in the worlds of art and design.
- Origami Swamis, Paper cranes are classic and beautiful, but in the new world of origami, science and mat... Aug 02 2010 16:40:00
- Page Turner, German graphic designer Peter Dahmen can make a paper page burst to life. A graphic des... May 24 2010 14:01:00
- Heartwork, Graphic artist/designer extraordinaire Marian Bantjes is renowned for her lush, intricate des... Apr 10 2010 23:46:00
- Head Trip, The Ostrich from Lucas Zanotto on Vimeo. Lucas Zanotto is an animator who does commercial ... Mar 12 2010 10:55:00
- Special Delivery, Kate's Paperie will send you paper goods shipped via UPS, but in a beautiful case of &... Feb 17 2010 12:10:00
- Pixel Perfect, Life as we know it has been redefined by digital media, with information for everything w... Nov 12 2009 16:14:00
- Make a Date of It, Well, actually, I don't know how long it took him, but it IS a calendar. And if his s... Nov 09 2009 13:17:00
- Read Into It, In the realm of fantasy stories, there has been many a tale where characters sprin... Oct 07 2009 08:26:00
- Shadow Plays, When you think of paper cutwork, the word "delicate" will likely come to... Sep 28 2009 11:06:00
- Super Models, You can't help but marvel at the work Chris Gilmour puts into his cardboar... Sep 04 2009 14:28:00
- The Living Shred, I could definitely do with storing less stuff. I've got boxes upon boxes of receipts f... Aug 21 2009 17:07:00
- Motion Slickness, We're accustomed to the idea of paper as a flat medium, because it starts out as 2 dim... Aug 11 2009 15:04:00
- Art Speaks Volumes, There are people who like to dog-ear their books, but Sam Winston takes it... Aug 06 2009 12:25:00
- Sheets Happen, The first thing that strikes you about Alida Sayer's work is that it has so much ... Jul 31 2009 13:28:00
- Architexture, The first thing you notice is how intensely intricate the installations are. Refer... Jul 23 2009 14:39:00
- Owl Take It, So, a little pop culture reference today. If you're like me, you're well aware that the lat... Jul 15 2009 16:37:00
- Flowerfull, Zoe Bradley is one of our favorite paper artists here at Kate's Paperie. On a personal level... Jul 08 2009 18:31:00
- Crease Is The Word, Just when I thought I might know all the ways to work with paper, I discover somethi... Jun 30 2009 12:55:00
- Looking Sharp, When people refer to fashion as edgy, I don't think they mean it quite so literally as ar... Jun 24 2009 11:12:00
- Pulp Fashion, When I was in third grade, my mom stayed up all night and created a top hat out of p... Jun 15 2009 14:33:00
- Boxing Clever, I've been blogging a lot about paper artists, but here's a completely different kind of e... Jun 04 2009 16:23:00
- We <3 Paper Art, It seems like everyday there are big things happening in the field of paper art... May 29 2009 14:28:00
- All The Bright Moves, Johnny Kelly is a graphic designer with a very playful design style. At first glan... May 26 2009 14:22:00
- Taping it To The Next Level, Creativity isn't dependent on the materials you use, but sometime... May 14 2009 15:14:00
- Shreddy For Your Close-Up, Usually people use a shredder to get rid of and recycle their stuff... May 08 2009 13:57:00
- It's All Write, In the instant gratification of modern electronic communications, we email, PM, SMS and ... Apr 29 2009 15:23:00
- Typocrafty, Perhaps because of the ubiquity of slick, computer-aided work, there has been a renewed inte... Apr 24 2009 14:25:00
- This Fold Thing, Ever since sharp creases and paper crane motifs appeared up in Dior's Spring 2007 coutu... Apr 15 2009 16:53:00
- Welcome to The Tear Sheet, Great design ideas are everywhere and inspiration can come from the most unli... Apr 10 2009 19:05:00